Spider-Man: No Way Home is launching on 16 December, and it is on track to becoming the biggest film of the year. Many industry insiders suggested that No Way Home would end up grossing $200 million domestically throughout its opening weekend. Now, those watching the box office think the film will settle with $290 million globally over the weekend, the highest of the year. But wait, some experts suggest, No Way Home could power forward with a $380 million opening.
If the No Way Home managed a $380 million haul, that is over double Eternal’s $161.7 million and F9’s $163 million openings. China’s Detective Chinatown 3 still holds the global pandemic record.
No Way Home costs around $200 million to make. No Way Home eventually received a release in China, and It will be marvel’s first movie to show in China after the pandemic.
With early tracking showing substantial promise, some experts are already saying another trilogy is already in development by Marvel Studios and Sony.
“This is not the last movie that we are going to make with Marvel – [this is not] the last Spider-Man movie,” Amy Pascal told Fandango earlier this month says. “We are getting ready to make the next Spider-Man movie with Tom Holland and Marvel. We’re thinking of this as three films, and now we’re going to go on to the next three. This is not the last of our MCU movies.”
Sony Pictures CEO Tom Rothman has since confirmed no such plans have been etched in stone.
“No specific plans,” Rothman told Comicbook.com’s Brandon Davis Monday night.
He added, “But it’s reciprocal. We lend one, then they lend one, and that’s how Benedict [Cumberbatch] is in this movie, so we have one more lend back that is committed. But the thing that I can say, and this is actually the accurate scoop on this, which is that the two companies have a terrific working relationship and I think it’s a mutual hope that that would continue, but there really isn’t anything definitive at this moment because the truth of the matter is we gotta ride this puppy and see what happens.”