Sony Pictures is said to have greenlit a third new installment in the Tom Hardy-led “Venom” movie legacy, which is following the back-to-back box office successes of the 2021’s movie “Venom: Let There Be Carnage” (which grossed $502 million globally) and the 2018’s “Venom” (which grossed $856 million globally).
The studio has also recently announced plans for another “Ghostbusters” sequel installment, which is said to serve as a follow-up to the 2021’s reboot “Ghostbusters: Afterlife” (which grossed $200 million globally). Sony had previously revealed its plans for both sequels during one of its Monday evening presentations at the CinemaCon, the one annual trade show for theatre owners. Though the studio still has not shared any details about either of the movies, it had revealed that new installments were already on the way.
The announcement came out in the form of a mash-up reel, which is said to have included the footage of the famous Whitney Houston biopic “I Wanna Dance With Somebody,” “Kraven the Hunter,” and “The Equalizer 3”.
The studio chief “Tom Rothman” had introduced the reel, announcing that the studio had made diverse movies for their diverse audiences or that Sony Pictures Entertainment has always had “something for everyone.” It’s indeed a hard point to argue, considering the given and evident quadrants in his slate hitting between Sony, the TriStar, and the Columbia Pictures.
Hardy’s created “Venom” had last appeared in the credits scene of “Spider-Man: No Way Home,” a box office trotting movie that had grossed $1.89 billion overseas.