It is safe to say that “The Rock,” will not be returning to the F&F (Fast & Furious) franchise.
On Wednesday, December 29, in a new interview with CNN, the Young Rock actor stated that he has no interest in repeating the performance of his role as Luke, even after Vin issued a public plea in November 2021.
Diesel wrote on an Instagram post last month, “My little brother Dwayne… the time has come. The world awaits the finale of Fast 10. As you know, my children refer to you as Uncle Dwayne in my house. No holiday goes by that they and you don’t send well wishes… but the time has come. Legacy awaits.”
Diesel referred to his best friend and co-star, the late Paul Walker. Vin used his nickname, Pablo. “I told you years ago that I was going to fulfill my promise to Pablo. I swore that we would reach and manifest the best Fast in the finale that is 10!” he added. “I say this out of love… but you must show up, do not leave the franchise idle. You have a very important role to play. Hobbs can’t be played by any other. I hope that you rise to the occasion and fulfill your destiny.”
Though Diesel’s post was met with excitement from fans, The Rock said he was “very surprised” to see it shared in the first place.
“This past June, when Vin and I connected not over social media, I told him directly—and privately—that I would not be returning to the franchise,” Johnson explained. “I was firm yet cordial with my words and said that I would always be supportive of the cast and always root for the franchise to be successful, but that there was no chance I would return.”
Dwayne also informed Universal Picture Studios about his decision not to join F&F and “all of whom were very supportive as they understand the problem.”
And though Vin seemingly had good intentions behind this, Dwaney called his post an “example of his manipulation,” saying, “I didn’t like that he brought up his children in the post, as well as Paul Walker’s death. Leave them out of it.”
Dwaney said that after his earlier conversation with Vin, he thought that they had a “clear understanding,” and he hoped to leave the franchise with “gratitude and grace.” However, he feels that “this public dialogue has muddied the waters.”
Johnson concluded that “Regardless, I’m confident in the ‘Fast’ universe and its ability to consistently deliver for the audience, and I truly wish my former co-stars and crew members the best of luck and success in the next chapter.”